Thursday, February 22, 2007

Portion Proportion

The bigger the portion, the bigger your proportions.

I was thinking about the problem of portions as it relates to the problem of our proportions.
And I thought if I see myself reflected in the portion that appears on the plate (for the five or ten seconds it remains there) I may be able to stave off the urge to load the plate up with too much food. The smaller the portion, the less I'll be adding to my overall proportions.

Where does that come from? Don't we know by now we aren't going to starve to death? Sometimes, I'll just eat the whole potfull just because it is there. I don't know where that compulsion comes from. It's such a primal urge I don't even have a verbal indication for it, it's more sensual -- the smell, the taste, the texture, the color, and the sound -- yeesh, the sound of all it gurgling around in my stomach after I've eaten every last morsal!

It helps to serve everyone and myself, and then put the leftovers right in the fridge, because if they are left out even durning dinner I am in big trouble.

My dinner plates are getting smaller, but I'm not sure the portions are, if you have spiral pasta and it is cooked just right, you can stack those babies up pretty high.

Then there is the handful of food problem. Walk by the table at work and there is a bag of almonds there. Almonds, not so bad, protein, vitamins, minerals, good fats, good carbs. But if you walk by that bag twice and take a handful, how many almonds is that? Ten? I don't know. All I know is that sooner or later, the bag is empty.

No comments: