Saturday, December 27, 2008

too late?

is it too late
to love you?

am I too far gone?

is it too late
to love you?

have you moved on?

every tree speaks your name
with the rustling of the leaves
the wind is its breath

every tall grass prairie
waves me on toward you
blazing gold
in autumnal splendor
it is you I remember

I'm blanketed in compost
warm and steaming in the frost
of late fall, winter coming

you're far gone
but the guitar imitates
your timber and your pitch

I turn away
only to see the ocean
and the waves
of the tides pull
the memories
of warm nights
and the churning

quell this yearning
have mercy

what is contentment?
leave me in peace.
stop the ghosts from beckoning

let the waves wash over
these memories
and erase them
from my shores

a blank and peaceful
beach
I can rest upon
once more

No comments: