Monday, September 8, 2008

september rain

it rained all day.
walked around in it.
ran later.
the neighbors are getting chickens
they said they'd sell me eggs
brought the plants in
tucked Simon in
reined myself in
talked myself down
had to be satisfied
had to swallow it all whole
but I knew
a rooster or two
might make the hens
do just what a hen might do
so I set the glass down
blew out the candle
and went to bed
with "September Rain"
playing in my head
maybe I'm just "Damned?"
so I inhale
extra big
through my nose
into my lungs
out my kidneys
and I fail the test
the quiz
the pop culture
exposé
I cough up the whole
naked scene
it burns my throat
it comes up in chunks
by morning
I'm better
I have things to do
that make me go
that make me goo
crawl into work
infanticide
blank
and starving
for the pulp
for the yolk
for the yoke
within the eggs

my neighbor says
he'll sell me

No comments: