Wednesday, May 7, 2008

intoxicating spring















I went for a run last night and came home drunk. Drunk on the fragrances of spring.

The magnolia trees were completely covered in blossoms and the smell that floated around the area where they were was overwhelming. The beauty of the night was so profoundly springtime. As I ran past the trees I fully expected a satyr to bounce out and offer me some wine. No such luck though. I just kept on course and ran through the cool night air.

Just as I got home a storm was starting to brew. I got to sit and listen to the thunder and rain while I drew and made stamps -- for me, absolute heaven! I went to bed and snuggled down in the covers, breathing in the cool and damp night air. I fell asleep fast as the sound of the rain calmed me.

I woke up this morning and it seemed as if I'd just shut my eyes a minute ago. I drove to my parking spot by Olbrich Gardens on John Street. On my usual walk down the long sidewalk to Oakridge where I catch the bus, the beauty of spring was broadcasting in all its sensual majesty! My buzz returned. The smell of newly mown grass floated across my nose. A robin hopped along side me as I walked, eyeing me suspiciously, as if I were going to try and steal his eggs. I took a deep breath, inhaling the fragrance of rain cleaned air through my nose. It was definitely full-tilt, pedal-to-the-metal spring! MMMMmmmMM!

Once on the bus, we passed by the Wednesday Farmer's Market just off the Capital Square, it was so abundantly adorned with flowers that I thought we were passing through a rainbow. There were people everywhere, setting up booths and barricades, hosing down the sidewalks, and unloading stuff from the back of box trucks to stock the restaurants that line them, all kinds of activity. What a morning!

No comments: