Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Notes from the Lorax














I had to park my car on the square the other night when I went to a show. It was the night of the African Children's Choir at the Overture, and it also, just happened to be Earth Day. As I was walking from my car toward the Overture Center, something seemed strange about the walk. I couldn't feel that warm comfortable feeling that I usually get walking around the square. I started noticing that there were some trees cut down. Then I noticed that it wasn't just some trees, it was ALL the trees!

The trees are gone around the outer parameter of the capital square. Sure, they're replacing them with new ones, but the old ones were very large and arched over the walkway in a cathedral like way.

They needed to upgrade the look — we don't want the tourists thinking we're not worthy of their money! So now we have black enamel drinking fountains and road signs and elaborate marble fountains that look like they're from some wild Tim Burton meets David Lynch movie. Amazing Narwhal horns with lighted tips atop the fountains and everything!

So crazy and chic and decadent. I wonder how much it all cost. Yet we can't fund a homeless shelter, or food pantries.

But the birds like the fountains, and isn't that all that really matters?












No comments: