Monday, June 30, 2008

I won't miss my mom

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I sew a button on a shirt, she’ll be there.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I swim in a pool she’s there helping me float.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I make a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough, she’ll let me lick the beaters.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I offer a glass of water to my crying son, to gulp down and ease his pain, she’ll be there helping him hold the glass.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I sketch out an idea about how to remodel my house, she’ll be giving me ideas.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I have some popcorn in the family room by the TV she’ll be passing out the bowls.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I pop the top off of a Tupperware lid, or happen to see one of those silly Avon aftershave decanters, she’ll be there.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I start a sentence with: “You better…” It’s her voice I hear.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I hear “You are my sunshine” or “Mares eat oats and does eat oats” I’ll hear here singing those words to me.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I’m feeling really down, it’s her heart I feel, trying to help, or just being there in spite of everything.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because when I see a few ladies having coffee together, I’ll see her and her lifelong friends.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because every time I manage to succeed, she’s in it somewhere.

I won’t miss my mom.
Because she did the best with what she was given, and loved me in spite of it all.

I have always loved her, but have only just now begun to appreciate all the wonderful gifts she gave me throughout my life. Sure, she spoiled me with material things, but that’s not what I mean. It’s all the gifts that have no value that mean the most to me. I won’t miss my mom. She’ll be right here always.

No comments: