Saturday, January 3, 2009

candle light bath

What is more relaxing than a hot bath lit by candles?

I just took a hot bath and let a tiny candle float in the tub in the half shell of a mollusk. Its gentle glide around the water's surface and its tiny light lifted me and grounded me simultaneously.

It is between the earth and the sky that we live, mostly of water, but not in water. Something that craves ultimately for the sky. Maybe our forms are only half way back to the cosmos. Maybe we're only in the middle stage of evolution. Who can assume this is the apex of our physical form. I tend to think we are in the middle somewhere. Which explains our position in the world. It also can explain our captivation with the stars.

We are stardust after all. And our elemental souls are trapped in this planet after some cataclysmic event. The primordial ooze is just reconfiguring itself, morphing over and over, on its journey back. Maybe this is the halfway point. We've still got eons to go. or to goo.

Well, this may not be scientific, but it helps me embrace the dissatisfaction of being caught in limbo. Water is my sanctuary. I can neither be in water, nor air, nor earth. I must live between somewhere. Just as I cannot possess my beloved. If I do, I will only kill myself or my beloved.

I have to learn to live with contentment at the idea of the beloved within and without. In my heart, but not in my physical world. And if by chance I can reach the beloved in the physical world, I must love in the moment wholly, or I will miss the most precious meaning of life.

The glimpse of love is brief. Probably for good reason. I don't know.

No comments: